after his worst 72-hole finish in a

Informatii utile pentru orice resident roman pe teritoriul Republicii Slovace

after his worst 72-hole finish in a

Mesajde lw789 » 04 Mar 2019, 08:23

HOYLAKE, England -- Even after his worst 72-hole finish in a major, Tiger Woods says he would pick himself for the Ryder Cup team. His first major of the year, and second tournament since March 31 back surgery, wasnt much of an audition for U.S. captain Tom Watson. Woods was never the same after opening the British Open with a 69. The mistakes kept piling up, and so did the big numbers, and he closed with a 3-over 75 on Sunday at Royal Liverpool. "I just made too many mistakes," Woods said. He finished at 6-over 294, matching his highest score in the British Open. Only three players had a worse score, including U.S. Open champion Martin Kaymer, and Woods finished in 69th place. His previous worst was a tie for 40th in the PGA Championship last year and the 2012 Masters. Worse yet, he didnt even beat the 64-year-old captain. Watson birdied his last hole for a 68, "Its just one day. Its a snapshot," Watson said. "Its not a big deal." Still, the concern was clear. Watson was speaking to the media as Woods was still on the course when he asked if Woods was shooting under par. Told that he was 4 over at the time, Watson said, "Thats not very good." Woods still has two tournaments left before the end of Ryder Cup qualifying at the PGA Championship. He is No. 72 in the standings, and aside from winning the final major of the year, his best bet is to be one of Watsons three picks. Asked if he would be inclined to pick him if were in Watsons position, Woods said with a smile, "I would say yes." "But thats my position, my take on it," Woods said. "Hes the captain. Obviously, its his decision. Hes going to field the best 12 players that he thinks will win the cup back. And I hope Im on that team." Woods is unlikely to make the FedEx Cup playoffs unless he picked up top-3 finishes at Firestone and the PGA Championship, and that means Watson would have to judge him on those tournaments unless Woods were to play elsewhere. Europe isnt appealing, with events in Denmark, the Czech Republic and Italy. "It would make it tougher for me to pick him if hes not playing," Watson said. Watson is more inclined to see more from Woods before a rush to judgment. Woods has played only six rounds since back surgery to alleviate a pinched nerve that forced him to miss three months, including two majors. The scorecard showed two triple bogeys and three double bogeys. He said his return at Congressional three weeks ago, where he missed the cut by four shots, was at least a chance to make sure he was pain free and shake off some rust. The rust was still there "I was certainly expecting it, yes, but I just thought that I know how to play links golf," Woods said. "I know how to grind it on these golf courses, and hitting the shots I thought I could get around here. I did the first day. After a bad start I got it back. And unfortunately, as I said, I made too many mistakes with the doubles and triples." He said he remained encouraged -- the same word he used when missing the cut at Congressional -- and even said he could see comparisons to these last two tournaments with a rehab assignment for a baseball player. "Theres a lot of things I need to work on, but I havent been able to work a lot," Woods said. "I was down for three months. So Im just now starting to come back. ... Im still building. Im still working on my game. And Im getting stronger and faster." Woods has missed only one Ryder Cup since his first one in 1997. That was in 2008, when he missed the second half of the season with reconstructive knee surgery. He was a captains pick in 2010 by Corey Pavin, following a year of personal turmoil that led to divorce and the hiring of a new swing coach. Woods went 3-1 in Wales, his best performance in a Ryder Cup. He was confused talking about that year, saying he was coming off an injury and missed most of the summer. That actually was the following year, when Fred Couples picked him for the Presidents Cup team. Either way, Woods felt he could contribute to the team and "thats all you want as a pick." LeBron James Sneakers Wholesale . Each day, TSN.ca provides the latest rumours, reports and speculation from around the NHL beat. Duck Calling With several marquee centres available via trade and expected to be available via free agency, the Anaheim Ducks could be primed to be big players in the coming days. Wholesale LeBron Shoes . Fellow Argentina forward Gonzalo Higuain also had a brace for Napoli. And Samuel Etoo scored for his fourth different team. On a night of standout individual performances Wednesday, Schalke goalkeeper Timo Hildebrand had a game hell want to forget. http://www.lebroncheap.com/. Miralem Pjanic dribbled through the defence to score an extraordinary goal in the 43rd minute at the Stadio Olimpico and Gervinho added another from a rebound in the 65th for Romas ninth straight victory — ending Milans five-match winning streak. Clearance Nike LeBron Shoes . The 20-year-old Barkley, whose impressive form this season could earn him a place in Englands World Cup squad, was hurt in Evertons 4-0 win over Queens Park Rangers in the FA Cup on Jan. Cheap LeBron Shoes Outlet ." The tournament was set to be held Sept. 15-21 and would have been the first ATP tournament held in Israel since 1996. But amid Israels military campaign against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, ATP President Chris Kermode said "we do not feel we can proceed as planned given the situation in the region. LOS ANGELES -- SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- In a story April 28 about responses to racist comments attributed to Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, The Associated Press misidentified a lawmaker who denounced the statements. Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, D-San Diego, spoke out against the comments, not Assemblywoman Cheryl Brown, D-San Bernardino. The NAACP has decided against honouring Donald Sterling with a lifetime achievement award from its Los Angeles chapter after the Clippers owner allegedly made racist comments in a recorded conversation. Donations made by Sterling, who has owned the team since 1981, will be returned, Leon Jenkins, president of the Los Angeles NAACP, said at a news conference Monday. Jenkins would not say how much money was involved. "There is a personal, economic and social price that Mr. Sterling must pay for his attempt to turn back the clock on race relations," he said. Sterling, 80, had been scheduled to receive the honour on May 15 as part of the 100th anniversary celebration of the Los Angeles branch of the nations oldest civil rights organization. He had been chosen to receive the award because of his long history of donating to minority charities and giving game tickets to inner city children, Jenkins said. The NAACP has honoured Sterling several times in the past. The Donald T. Sterling Charitable Foundation gave $5,000 to the NAACPs Los Angeles chapter in 2010, according to tax records, and Sterling was listed as his foundations only contributor. There were no records of further NAACP contributions in 2011 or 2012, the latest years for which records were available. Sterlings purported comments have overshadowed the NBAs opening playoff round and prompted an NBA investigation. The league is planning a Tuesday news conference to discusss the probe.dddddddddddd There has been no official confirmation that it is Sterling on the recording, portions of which were released over the weekend by TMZ and Deadspin. Sterling "is emphatic that what is reflected on that recording is not consistent with, nor does it reflect his views, beliefs or feelings," according to a statement from team president Andy Roeser on Saturday. Neither Sterling nor his representatives have since commented on the controversy. Jenkins, of the NAACP, was asked how detrimental he considered Sterlings alleged remarks. "On a scale of one to 10? Eleven," he said. "It goes back to a segregation system and a time that nobody in America is proud of." Members of the state Legislatures black caucus joined those denouncing Sterling. Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, D-San Diego, said lawmakers should not ignore the countrys history of discrimination. "Once again we are reminded of the ugliness and sometimes what appears to be the pervasive permanence of hatred," Weber said while speaking in support of a resolution declaring Holocaust Remembrance Week. "So I want to simply challenge us as we go forward to not think that, Yes, we see the past, but recognize the past has a profound impact on the present. And if we are not conscious (of it), it will direct our future." Assemblyman Isadore Hall, D-Compton and secretary of the black caucus, blasted Sterling and compared him to a "slave master" looking down at his African-American players. "Its an utter embarrassment," Hall said in an interview after the floor session, "not just to the NBA, but also to all the individuals who believe that at some point, in California at least, we have risen above that, and we obviously havent." ' ' '
lw789
Contribuitor

Înapoi la Informatii Utile